Subject. The issues of indications, contraindications and the optimal timing for the removal of abnormally located lower third molars remain relevant in dentistry. Numerous evidence has been accumulated of their negative impact on the formation of the dentofacial system, however, X-ray patterns of patients with this pathology in the process of their formation, development and change in the angle of inclination, as well as the growing problems associated with the growth of these teeth in the dentition and bite have not been studied. The goal is to study the dynamics of the position of the rudiments of the abnormally located lower third molars in the process of their formation and growth and their influence on the state of the dentofacial system as a whole. Methodology. The study involved 28 patients with abnormally located impressive lower third molars, which were divided into 3 groups: in the first (8 people), the second molars were at the teething and growth stage, in the second (12 people) the second molar was in the occlusal plane at the stage closed apex, in the third (8 people) there was a multiple abnormal position of the mesially located teeth from the third molar. All measurements were performed using a virtual measuring device in the image mode of slices with Galileos Viewer software. Results. According to our results, a significant scatter was recorded in the timing of the formation of third molars from the period of mineralization of the crown of the teeth (12―15 years) to the end of growth and root formation (18―23 years). After 23 years, the roots of the abnormally located lower third molars in the patients examined by us had radiological signs of the end of formation (closed apex). Conclusion. Impact lower third molars continue their growth and have a negative effect on the condition of the teeth located mesial. This fact does not depend on concomitant orthodontic pathology, nor on the methods of orthodontic treatment (removable or non-removable equipment).
orthodontic pathology, radiological signs, impact lower third molars, orthodontic treatment, tilt angle
1. Averyanov, S. V., Permyakova, E. S., Mashkina, Yu. I. (2016). Chastota vstrechayemosti retentsii zubov u detey po dannym ortopantomogrammy [Frequency of tooth retention in children according to orthopantomogram data]. Nauka, obrazovaniye i innovatsii : sbornik statey [Science, education and innovation: collection of articles], 133. (In Russ.)
2. Andreishchev, A. R., Shulysina, N. M., Uskova, V. A., Volkov, I. G., Ko, V. Y., Grigoryants, A. P. (2003). Rentgenologicheskaya otsenka dinamiki razvitiya i prorezyvaniya tret'ikh molyarov [Radiological assessment of the dynamics of development and eruption of the third molars]. Stomatologiya detskogo vozrasta i profilaktika [Dentistry of childhood and prevention], 3-4, 87–90. (In Russ.)
3. Andreishchev, A. R., Soloviev, M. M. (2004). Metodika prognozirovaniya retentsii tret'ikh molyarov [Method of predicting retention of third molars]. Institut stomatologii [Institute of dentistry], 3 (24), 70–72. (In Russ.)
4. Arshinova, V. A., Galiullina, M. V., Motygullin, B. R. (2018). Vliyaniye tret'ikh molyarov na rezul'tat ortodonticheskogo lecheniya [Influence of third molars on the result of orthodontic treatment]. Aktual'nyye voprosy stomatologii [Actual issues of dentistry], 14–15. (In Russ.)
5. Arsenina, O. I., Shishkin, K. M., Shishkin, M. K., Popova, N. V., Popova, A. V. (2016). Tret'i postoyannyye molyary. Ikh vliyaniye na zuboal'veolyarnyye dugi [Third permanent molars. Their influence on the dental alveolar arches]. Rossiyskaya stomatologiya [Russian dentistry], 9, 2, 33–40. (In Russ.)
6. Bimbas, E. S., Saipeeva, M. M., Shishmareva, A. S. (2016). Sroki prorezyvaniya postoyannykh zubov u detey mladshego shkol'nogo vozrasta [Terms of eruption of permanent teeth in children of primary school age]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 12, 2, 111–115. (In Russ.)
7. Gaivoronskaya, M. G., Gaivoronsky, I. V., Ponomarev, A. A. (2017). Osobennosti biomekhaniki nizhney chelyusti pri dvustoronney retentsii zubov mudrosti [Features of biomechanics of the lower jaw at bilateral retention of wisdom teeth]. Kurskiy nauchno-prakticheskiy vestnik «Chelovek i yego zdorov'ye» [Kursk Scientific and Practical Bulletin “Man and His Health”], 1, 60–62. (In Russ.)
8. Gaivoronsky, I. V., Gaivoronskaya, M. G., Ponomarev, A. A., Farafonova, Y. A. (2016). Osobennosti asimmetrii nizhney chelyusti pri retentsii zubov mudrosti [Features of asymmetry of the lower jaw at retention of wisdom teeth]. Kurskiy nauchno-prakticheskiy vestnik «Chelovek i yego zdorov'ye» [Kursk scientific and practical Bulletin "Man and his health"], 4, 36–38. (In Russ.)
9. Demidova, I. I., Andreishchev, A. R. (2002). Nekotoryye voprosy biomekhaniki prorezyvaniya zubov [Some questions of biomechanics of teething]. Stomatologiya detskogo vozrasta i profilaktika [Dentistry of children's age and prevention], 3-4, 24–26. (In Russ.)
10. Iordanishvili, A. K., Korovin, N. V., Veretennikov, V. A. (2017). Patologiya zubov mudrosti kak prichina obrashchayemosti voyennosluzhashchikh za meditsinskoy pomoshch'yu [Pathology of wisdom teeth as a reason for military personnel to seek medical care]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 13, 4, 44–49. (In Russ.)
11. Iordanishvili, A. K., Korovin, N. V., Serikov, A. A. (2017). Anatomo-topometricheskiye kharakteristiki chelyustey pri prorezyvanii i retentsii zubov mudrosti [Anatomical and topometric characteristics of the jaws during eruption and retention of wisdom teeth]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 13, 3, 53–56. (In Russ.)
12. Lomsha, I. K. (2016). Sravnitel'nyy analiz informativnosti ortopantomografii i konusno-luchevoy komp'yuternoy tomografii pri vyyavlenii ochagov khronicheskoy odontogennoy infektsii v oblasti molyarov verkhney i nizhney chelyustey [Elektronnyy resurs] [Comparative analysis of information content of orthopantomography and cone-beam computed tomography in the detection of foci of chronic odontogenic infection in the area of molars of the upper and lower jaws [Electronic resource]]. Aktual'nyye problemy sovremennoy meditsiny i farmatsii 2016: sb. tez. dokl. LXX Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. studentov i molodykh uchenykh [Actual problems of modern medicine and pharmacy 2016: collection of TEZ. docl. LXX international. science.- practice. Conf. students and young scientists], Minsk : Belarusian state medical University, 1398. (In Russ.)
13. Moseev, R. I., Zachepa, A. A., Lebedev, A. V. (2017). Etiologicheskiye aspekty patologii i oslozhneniya tret'ikh molyarov [Etiological aspects of pathology and complications of the third molars]. Byulleten' Severnogo gosudarstvennogo meditsinskogo universiteta materi [Bulletin of the Northern state medical University of the mother], 152. (In Russ.)
14. Pankratova, N. V., Persin, L. S., Kolesov, M. A., Repina, T. V., Mkrtchyan, A. A., Kalimatova, L. M., Morozova, K. M. (2015). Sravnitel'naya kharakteristika polozheniya tret'ikh molyarov u patsiyentov v vozraste 12 i 15 let [Comparative characteristics of the position of tertiary molars in patients aged 12 and 15 years]. Ortodontiya [Orthodontics], 4 (72), 30–33. (In Russ.)
15. Tochilina, T. A. (1985). Plan i prognoz ortodonticheskogo lecheniya v zavisimosti ot osobennostey zakladki i formirovaniya postoyannykh zubov : avtoreferat dis. … kand. med. nauk [Plan and prognosis of orthodontic treatment depending on the features of the bookmark and formation of permanent teeth : abstract dis. cand. med. sciences]. Moscow, 25. (In Russ.)
16. Fomichev, I. V., Fleisher, G. M. (2014). Lecheniye bol'nykh s narusheniyem prorezyvaniya nizhnikh tret'ikh molyarov [Treatment of patients with impaired eruption of the lower third molars]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 10, 4, 40–44. (In Russ.)
17. Utesheva, A. Y. (2017). Zuby «mudrosti» – «to be or not to be»? [Teeth of "wisdom" – "to be or not to be"?]. Byulleten' meditsinskikh internet-konferentsiy [Bulletin of medical Internet conferences], 7, 10, 1504–1506. (In Russ.)
18. Baik, U. B., Choi, H. B., Kim, Y. J., Lee, D. Y., Sugawara, J., Nanda, R. (2019). Change in alveolar bone level of mandibular second and third molars after second molar protraction into missing first molar or second premolar space. European journal of orthodontics, 1423–1424.
19. Camargo, I. B., Sobrinho, J. B., Van Sickels, J. E. (2016). Correlational study of impacted and non-functional lower third molar position withoccurrence of pathologies. Prog Orthod., 17, 26.
20. Cunha-Cruz, J., Rothen, M., Spiekerman, C., Drangsholt, M., McClellan, L., Huang, G. J. (2014). Recommendations for Third Molar Removal: A Practice-Based Cohort Study. Am. J. Public Health, 104 (4), 735–743.
21. Huang, G. J., Cunha-Cruz, J., Rothen, M., Spiekerman, C., Drangsholt, M., Loren, A. L., Roset, G. A. (2014). A Prospective Study of Clinical Outcomes Related to Third Molar Removal or Retention. Am. J. Public Health, 104 (4), 728–734.
22. Intan S. R., Tobel, J. D., Thevissen, P. (2019). The Effects of Third Molar Impaction Parameters on Third Molar Development and Related Age Estimation. American Academy of Forensic Sciences 71th Annual Scientific Meeting, Date: 2019/02/18-2019/02/23, Baltimore, MD : AAFS, 691–691.
23. Lee, K. C., Jazayeri, H. E., Chuang, S. K. (2019). Third Molar Patient Education Materials. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 1 (77), 5–6.
24. Renton, T. (2017). Mandibular third molar guidelines: an international perspective. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2 (46), 45.
25. Waite, P. D., Cherala, S. (2006). Surgical Outcomes for Suture-Less Surgery in 366 Impacted Third Molar Patients. J. Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2 (64), 669–673.