Subject. Epidemiological surveys are important for assessing the compliance of dental programs with the treatment needs of various population groups. Objectives ― we set a goal to compare the dynamics of indicators of epidemiological surveys of dental diseases in the city of Ekaterinburg over the past 15 years. Methods. After analyzing reports and publications on the WHO methodology, a high prevalence and intensity of caries and signs of periodontal damage was noted, they deteriorate with age. The reduction in the incidence of dental diseases that began in 2008 did not persist in 2015. The change in the social and demographic structure of the children's population of Yekaterinburg is accompanied by an increase in rates of dental diseases. Estimating the proportion of people with signs of periodontal diseases in children 12 and 15 years compared with the results of a previously conducted national epidemiological study in 2008, we do not see a decrease in the prevalence rate of periodontal diseases. An assessment of the need for emergency dental care in children of Yekaterinburg of 6, 12 and 15 years according to the WHO criteria showed a high level of need for “preventive or conventional treatment” in all groups of children examined. Conclusions. The high prevalence of dental diseases in the city of Ekaterinburg indicates the need to find preventive measures. The increase in the intensity of caries is especially active in children of school age, which requires development of a comprehensive program of school prevention. The absence of a reduction in the prevalence rate of periodontal lesions in adolescents in all 3 national surveys suggests the need to find new approaches in prevention, including use of Smart Technologies.
epidemiological study, national survey, dental health, prevalence and intensity of caries, DMF index, periodontal disease, pediatric dentistry
1. Averyanov, S. V., Iskhakov, I. R., Isaeva, A. I., Garayeva, K. L. (2016). Rasprostranennost' i intensivnost' kariyesa zubov, zabolevaniy parodonta i zubochelyustnykh anomaliy u detey goroda Ufy [The prevalence and intensity of dental caries, periodontal diseases and dental anomalies in children of the city of Ufa]. Sovremennyye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern Problems of Science and education], 2. (In Russ.)
2. Bychkova, Ye. V., Kozyrev, M. A. (2017). Motivatsiya vrachey-stomatologov k realizatsii programm profilaktiki stomatologicheskikh zabolevaniy [Motivation of dentists to implement programs for the prevention of dental diseases]. Aktual'nyye voprosy profilaktiki stomatologicheskikh zabolevaniy; materialy III Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiyem [Topical issues of the prevention of dental diseases : materials of the III All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference with international], 136–138. (In Russ.)
3. Goryacheva, V. V. (2017). Rasprostranennost' i intensivnost' kariyesa zubov u detey shkol'nogo vozrasta g. Ul'yanovska [The prevalence and intensity of dental caries in children of school age in Ulyanovsk]. Spetsial'nyy vypusk : materialy XIX mezhdunarodnogo kongressa «Zdorov'ye i obrazovaniye v XXI veke» [Special issue : materials of the XIX International Congress «Health and Education in the XXI Century»], Moscow. (In Russ.)
4. Yermukhanova, G. T., Onaybekova, N. M., Leus. P. A., Kiselnikova, L. P. (2017). Korrelyatsionnaya zavisimost' kariyesa zubov i indikatorov riska u podrostkov Kazakhstana, Belarusi i Rossii [Correlation dependence of dental caries and risk indicators in adolescents from Kazakhstan, Belarus and Russia]. Vestnik KazNMU [KazNMU Bulletin], 4, 135–141. (In Russ.)
5. Ioschenko, E. S., Brusnitsyna, E. V., Zakirov, T. V., Ozhgikhina, N. V., Vorozhtsova, L. I. (2017). Analiz osnovnoy stomatologicheskoy zabolevayemosti detskogo naseleniya g. Yekaterinburga [Analysis of the main dental morbidity in the child population of Yekaterinburg]. Problemy stomatologii [Problems of Dentistry], 1, 110–113. doi:10.18481/2077-7566-2017-13-1-110-113 (In Russ.)
6. Kolomenko, L. O., Leus, P. A., Terekhova, T. M., Sorochenko, G. V. (2018). Analiticheskaya epidemiologiya kak «instrument» dlya analiza vozmozhnykh prichin razlichnykh tendentsiy karioznoy bolezni u detey [Analytical epidemiology as a “tool” for analyzing the possible causes of various trends in carious disease in children]. Vrachebnoye delo [Medical business], 1-2, 151–156. Doi: 10.31640/JVD.1-2.2018(25) (In Russ.)
7. Kosyuga, S. Yu., Lekomtseva, O. V. (2018). Rol' stomatologicheskogo prosveshcheniya v profilaktike stomatologicheskikh zabolevaniy u shkol'nikov 14 let [The role of dental education in the prevention of dental diseases in schoolchildren 14 years old]. Mezhdunarodnyy zhurnal prikladnykh i fundamental'nykh issledovaniy [International Journal of Applied and Fundamental Research], 5-1, 113–118. (In Russ.)
8. Leus, P. A. (2016). Otstupayet li kariyes u detey shkol'nogo vozrasta? [Does caries recede in children of school age?]. Obozreniye stomatologii (RF) [Review of Dentistry (RF)], 1 (87). (In Russ.)
9. Malanin, I. V., Emelina, G. V., Ivanov, P. V. (2010). Otsenka zabolevayemosti vospaleniya tkaney parodonta v Penzenskom regione [Estimation of the incidence of inflammation of periodontal tissues in the Penza region]. Sovremennyye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern problems of science and education], 2, 80–86. (In Russ.)
10. Oksenoyt, G. K., Nikitina, S. Yu., Ageeva, L. I., Alexandrova, G. A., Zaichenko, N. M., Kirillova, G. N., Leonov, S. A., Ogryzko, E. V., Titova, I. A., Kharkov, T. L., Chumarin, V. Z., Shubochkin, E. M. (2017). Zdravookhraneniye v Rossii : sbornik statey [Healthcare in Russia : collection of articles]. M : Rosstat, 170. (In Russ.)
11. Terekhova, T. N., Melnikova, E. I. (2016). Dinamika stomatologicheskogo statusa detskogo naseleniya respubliki Belarus' [Dynamics of the dental status of the child population of the Republic of Belarus]. Sovremennaya stomatologiya [Modern dentistry], 2, 52–53. (In Russ.)
12. Terekhova, T. N., Kiselnikova, L. P., Ermukhanova, G. T., Leus, P. A., Zhugina, L. F., Melnikova, E. I. (2018). Sravnitel'nyye retrospektivnyye dannyye analitecheskoy epidemiologii kariyesa zubov u detey 12-15 let v trekh stranakh SNG [Comparative retrospective data from the analytical epidemiology of dental caries in children 12–15 years old in three CIS countries]. Mel'nikova Meditsinskiy zhurnal [Medical Journal], 2, 102–107. (In Russ.)
13. Cherkasov, S. M. (2014). Analiz rasprostranennosti zabolevaniy zubochelyustnoy sistemy, formiruyushchikh spros na stomatologicheskiye uslugi [Analysis of the prevalence of dental-maxillary diseases that form the demand for dental services]. Fundamental'nyye issledovaniya [Fundamental Research], 2, 186–189. (In Russ.)
14. Chaffee, B., Benjamin, W., John, D.B. et al. (2017). Pediatric Caries Risk Assessment as a Predictor of Caries Outcomes. Pediatric Dentistry, 39 (3), 219–232.
15. Corrado, C., Riviello, R., Wilson, K. et al. (2017). Building work- force capacity abroad while strengthening global health programs at home: participation of seven Harvard-affiliated institutions in a health professional training initiative in Rwanda. Acad Med, 92, 649–658. doi: 10.1080/16549716.2018.1477249
16. Davies, G. M., Robinson, R., Neville, J., Burnside, G. (2014). Investigation of bias related to non-return of consent for a dental epidemiological survey of caries among five year olds. Community Dental Health, 31, 21–26.
17. Davies, G. M., Neville, J., Jones, K., White, S. (2017) Why are caries levels reducing in fiveyear-olds in England? British Dental Journal, 223, 1–5.
18. Fleming, E., Afful, J. (2018). Prevalence of total and untreated dental caries among youth: United States, 2015–2016. NCHS Data Brief, 307.
19. Kim, J. M., Choi, J. S., Choi, Y. H., Kim, H. E. (2018). Simplified Prediction Model for Accurate Assessment of Dental Caries Risk among Participants Aged 10-18 Years. Tohoku J Exp Med, 246 (2), 81–86. doi:10.1620/tjem.246.81
20. Leão, M. M., Garbin, C. A. S., Moimaz, S. A. S., Rovida, T. A. S. (2015). Oral health and quality of life: an epidemiological survey of adolescents from settlement in Pontal do Paranapanema. SP, Brazil. Ciência & Saúde Ciênc. saúde coletiva, 20 (11), 3365–3374. doi: 10.1590/1413-812320152011.00632015
21. (2017). Oral Health Survey of Maryland School Children, 2015-2016. Baltimore, MD: Office of Oral Health, Prevention and Health Promotion Administration.
22. Morgan, J. P., Isyagi, M., Ntaganira, J., et al. (2018). Building oral health research infrastructure: the first national oral health survey of Rwanda. Global Health Action, 11, 1. doi: 10.1080/16549716.2018.1477249
23. Sidon, J., Kafero-Babumba, C., Clerehugh, V., Tugnait, A. (2018). Paediatric periodontal screening methods in undergraduate dental schools. British Dental Journal, 225, 1073–1077.
24. Stenhouse, L., Green, D., Laverty, D., Dietrich, T. (2017), Global epidemiology of dental caries and severe periodontitis – a comprehensive review. J Clin Periodontol, 44 (18), 94–105. doi: 10.1111/jcpe.12677.
25. Vagdouti, T., Tsilingaridis, G. (2018). Periodontal Diseases in Children and Adolescents Affected by Systemic Disorders - A Literature Review. Int J Oral Dent Health, 4 (1), 55. doi: 10.23937/2469-5734/1510055
26. (2013). World Health Organization. Oral Health Surveys Basic Methods, 5th Ed., WHO Geneva, 125.