Subject. Mineralization of hard tissues of teeth affected by radiation caries in patients after radiation therapy of malignant neoplasms. Objectives. To develop a digital method for diagnosing radiation caries based on Raman fluorescence technology. Methodology. The study was conducted at the Department of Orthopedic Dentistry and Orthodontics of South Ural State Medical University. The study was conducted on two groups of people (cohorts) comparable in sex and age, who voluntarily agreed to take part in it. The main group consisted of 20 people (patients with radiation caries), the comparison group – 20 people (without radiation caries). The main research method was the study of Raman fluorescence of tooth areas using the «InSpectr» hardware-software complex with diagnostic sensitivity according to the integral concentration of aerobic-anaerobic microbial suspension up to 109 KOE/ml. A study was made of teeth in the pathological area in patients of the main group, and in the intact area in patients of the comparison group. Results. Raman fluorescent diagnostics of the intact tooth surface and the surface with a pathological focus made it possible to clearly see the difference in mineralization in digitized indicators. So, for example, according to the indicators of patients with damage to the teeth by radiation caries, it can be concluded that the indicators of mineralization in the focus affected by radiation caries ( y = 172 ± 0.04, x = 963 cm-1) are lower than those of the intact area (y = 1174 ± 0.071, x = 963 cm-1) Conclusion. The method of Raman fluorescence diagnostics can be used in the diagnosis of radiation caries, since there is a potential difference between the healthy and the affected areas of the hard tissues of the tooth. On the basis of the study, the author recommends using the «InSpectr» hardware-software complex for diagnosing radiation caries.
radiation caries, mineralization of hard tissues, Raman fluorescence, dentistry, radiation therapy, oncology
1. Tursun-zade R.T. Ocenka rasprostranennosti zlokachestvennyh novoobrazovaniy v Rossii s primeneniem modeli zabolevaemost'-smertnost'. Demograficheskoe obozrenie. 2018;5(3):103-126. [R.T. Tursun-Zade. An evaluation of the prevalence of malignant neoplasms in Russia using an incidence-mortality model. Demographic overview. Demographic overview. 2018;5(3):103-126. (In Russ.)]. https://doi.org/10.17323/demreview.v5i3.8137
2. Aleksandrov M.T., Margaryan E.G. Primenenie lazernyh tehnologiy v klinike terapevticheskoy stomatologii (obosnovanie, vozmozhnosti, perspektivy). Rossiyskaya stomatologiya. 2017;10(3):31-36. [M.T. Alexandrov, E.G. Margaryan. Laser technique application in therapeutic dentistry in clinic (rationale, possibilities, perspectives). Russian Stomatology. 2017;10(3):31-36. (In Russ.)]. https://doi.org/10.17116/rosstomat201710331-36
3. Aleksandrov M.T., Kukushkin V.I., Polyakova M.A., Novozhilova N.E., Babina K.S., Arakelyan M.G., Bagramova G.E., Pashkov E.P., Dmitrieva E.F. Raman-flyuorescentnye harakteristiki tverdyh tkaney zubov i ih klinicheskoe znachenie. Rossiyskiy stomatologicheskiy zhurnal. 2018;22(6):276-280. [M.T. Aleksandrov, V.I. Kukushkin, M.A. Polyakova, N.E. Novozhilova, K.S. Babina, M.G. Arakelyan, G.E. Bagramova, E.P. Pashkov, E.F. Dmitrieva. Raman fluorescence characteristics of hard dental tissues and their clinical significance. Russian Dental Journal. 2018;22(6):276-280. (In Russ.)]. https://doi.org/10.18821/1728-2802-2018-22-6-276-280
4. Aleksandrov M.T., Kukushkin V.I., Margaryan E.G., Pashkov E.P., Bagramova G.E. Vozmozhnosti i perspektivy primeneniya raman-flyuorescentnoy diagnostiki v stomatologii. Rossiyskiy stomatologicheskiy zhurnal. 2018;22(1):4-11. [M.T. Alexandrov, E.P. Pashkov, G.E. Bagramova, V.I. Kukushkin, E.G. Margaryan. Possibilities and perspectives of raman fluorescence diagnostic application in dentistry. Russian Dental Journal. 2018;22(1):4-11. (In Russ.)]. https://doi.org/10.18821/0206-4952-2018-39-1-4-11
5. Cecilia Carlota Barrera Ortega, América Vázquez-Olmos, Roberto Ysaac Sato Berrú, Miguel Araiza. Study of Demineralized Dental Enamel Treated with Different Fluorinated Compounds by Raman Spectroscopy // Journal of Biomedical Engineering. – 2020;10(5):635-638. doi: 10.31661/jbpe.v0i0.2003-1089