Subject. Pediatricians play an important role in the foundation of a healthy lifestyle of children and their parents. The subject matter is the pediatric faculty students dental diseases prevention awareness level, since children, adolescents and their parents health education is one of important aspects of their future professional activities. Purpose ― study of major dental diseases prevention knowledge level of the pediatric faculty students. Methodology. A survey of 141 5th year students of the pediatric faculty was conducted, including 120 (85.1 %) girls and 21 (14.9 %) men. The students were offered to answer 35 questions regarding eating habits, the causes of tooth decay, the rules of tooth brushing, oral hygiene products, the reasons for visiting a dentist, medical activity of students. Results. The analysis of questionnaires showed that 82.3 % (116) of students under survey follow the oral care regular rules. The survey also showed that the students do not know all the technique rules of tooth brushing. The analysis of the pediatric faculty students’ opinion of their knowledge level of the reasons for tooth diseases and periodontal tissues showed that 25.5 % of respondents know enough: 63.8 % want to know more; 10.6 % said they do not know enough. Regarding the medical activity 29.1 % of the respondents answered that they regularly visit the dentist 2 or more times a year, 46.1 % ― once a year, 12.7 % ― every 2-3 years, 11.3 % ― when they have a tooth ache. 31.9 % of respondents correctly listed the methods to prevent dental caries. Conclusion. The pediatric faculty students have an insufficient level of knowledge of the reasons for dental diseases and their prevention methods. The results of the survey indicate the necessity of a correct understanding of the importance of this problem by the pediatric faculty students.
students, questionnaires, dental diseases, prevention, awareness
1. Aleynikov, A. S., Chernyshov, A. V. (2013). Sovershenstvovaniye profilaktiki stomatologicheskikh zabolevaniy u naseleniya moskovskogo regiona [Dental diseases prevention development for the Moscow region population]. Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Seriya : Yestestvennyye i tekhnicheskiye nauki [Bulletin of Tambov University. Series: Natural and technical Sciences], 6/2, 3333–3334. (In Russ.)
2. Alexandrova, V. B. (2014). Otsenka stomatologicheskogo zdorov'ya studentov [Assessment of students' dental health]. Zdorov'ye i obrazovaniye v XXI veke [Health and education in the XXI century], 16, 10, 18–19. (In Russ.)
3. Bulkin, A. M., Shakovets, N. V. (2018). Profilakticheskiye znaniya i navyki studentov-stomatologov [Dental students preventive knowledge and skills of]. Molodoy uchenyy [Young scientist], 25, 168–169. (In Russ.)
4. Ganieva, R. A., Chuikin, S. V., Akatieva, G. G. et al. (2019). Stomatologicheskoye prosveshcheniye doshkol'nikov g.Ufy v ramkakh ozdorovitel'nogo proyekta «Dorog kazhdyy zub» [Dental education of Ufa pre-school children in the framework of the health project "Every tooth is important"]. Stomatologiya detskogo vozrasta [Children Dentistry], 3, 52–55. (In Russ.)
5. Dobrovolskaya, P. E., Kovaleva, A. S. (2015). Profilaktika stomatologicheskikh zabolevaniy v sovremennom obshchestve [Prevention of dental diseases in modern society]. Mezhdunarodnyy zhurnal eksperimental'nogo obrazovaniya [International Journal of Experimental Education], 11 (6), 840–847. (In Russ.)
6. Duzh, A. N., Alyamovsky, V. V., Sokolova, O. R. (2014). Kolichestvennaya otsenka urovnya stomatologicheskoy gramotnosti studentov-stomatologov [Dental students dental literacy level quantitative assessment of]. Meditsina i obrazovaniye v Sibiri [Medicine and education in Siberia], 2. (In Russ.)
7. Elovikova, T. M., Grigoriev, S. S., Sablina, S. N. et al. (2019). Professional'no oriyentirovannyy podkhod lichnostnogo razvitiya studentov stomatologov na klinicheskoy kafedre: kachestvo vypolneniya professional'noy gigiyeny polosti rta [Professionally oriented approach to the personal development of students of dentistry at the clinical department: the quality of professional oral hygiene]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 15, 4, 177–184. (In Russ.)
8. Zelinsky, M. V., Kiselev, S. N., Ganus, A. N. (2015). Stomatologicheskoye zdorov'ye studentov i osnovnyye napravleniya yego uluchsheniya [Dental health of students and the main directions of its improvement]. Dal'nevostochnyy meditsinskiy zhurnal [Far Eastern medical journal], 4, 91–96. (In Russ.)
9. Zykin, A. G. (2014). Optimizatsiya metodov profilaktiki osnovnykh stomatologicheskikh zabolevaniy u detey mladshego shkol'nogo vozrasta i podrostkov [Optimization of methods for the prevention of major dental diseases in primary school children and adolescents]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 3, 54–56. (In Russ.)
10. Kabulbekov, A. A., Kistaubaeva, Zh. A. (2016). Printsipy profilaktiki kariyesa s uchetom vliyaniya faktorov riska [Principles of caries prevention taking into account the influence of risk factors]. Vestnik KazNMU [Bulletin of KazNMU], 3, 101–103. (In Russ.)
11. Kubrushko, T. V., Felker, E. V., Vinokur, A. V. et al. (2016). Stomatologicheskiy status studentov-medikov [Dental status of medical students]. Mezhdunarodnyy zhurnal eksperimental'nogo obrazovaniya [International journal of experimental education], 5-3, 386–387. (In Russ.)
12. Makeeva, I. M., Turkina, A. Yu., Budaychieva, Z. S. et al. (2017). Otsenka stomatologicheskogo gigiyenicheskogo statusa studentov razlichnykh fakul'tetov pervogo MGMU im. I. M. Sechenova na osnovanii anketirovaniya i dannykh ob"yektivnogo obsledovaniya [Assessment of dental hygiene status of students of various faculties of the first Sechenov Moscow state medical UNIVERSITY on the basis of questionnaires and objective examination data]. Rossiyskiy stomatologicheskiy zhurnal [Russian dental journal], 6, 21, 337–339. (In Russ.)
13. Mikhalchenko, D. V., Mikhalchenko, A. V., Korneeva, N. M. (2014). Problemy motivatsii k profilaktike stomatologicheskikh zabolevaniy studentov [Students dental diseases prevention motivation problems]. Fundamental'nyye issledovaniya [Fundamental research], 7, 129–132. (In Russ.)
14. Svetlakova, E. N., Mandra, Yu. V., Zholudev, S. E. et al. (2020). Uspeshnaya realizatsiya volonterskogo proyekta «Schastlivaya ulybka» na stomatologicheskom fakul'tete UGMU kak chast' obrazovatel'nogo protsessa [Successful implementation of the volunteer project "Happy Smile" at the Faculty of Dentistry of USMU as part of the educational process]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 16, 2, 164–171. (In Russ.)
15. Uspenskaya, O. A., Kalinkin, K. I (2020). Uroven' stomatologicheskogo prosveshcheniya studentov [Students dental education level]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 16, 1, 58–63. (In Russ.)
16. Filimonova, O. I., Khudyakova, L. I. (2011). Kul'tura stomatologicheskogo zdorov'ya studencheskoy molodezhi goroda Chelyabinska [Chelyabinsk students dental health culture]. Ural'skiy meditsinskiy zhurnal [Ural medical journal], 5, 61–64. (In Russ.)
17. Shakovets, N. V. (2012). Znaniya detskikh stomatologov i pediatrov o kariyese zubov u detey rannego vozrasta [Knowledge of pediatric dentists and pediatricians about dental caries in young children]. Aktual'nyye voprosy detskoy stomatologii i ortodontii : sbornik trudov VIII nauchno-prakticheskoy. konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiyem, posvyashchennoy 10-letiyu kafedry stomatologii detskogo vozrasta i ortodontii [Actual problems of pediatric dentistry and orthodontics : collection of works VIII scientific-practical. conferences with int. participation dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Department of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics], 65–67. (In Russ.)
18. Shcherbovskikh, A. E., Vorovchenko, T. S., Virabova, I. I. (2014). Otsenka osvedomlonnosti naseleniya Rossiyskoy Federatsii o faktorakh riska razvitiya stomatologicheskikh zabolevaniy i ikh profilaktike [Dental diseases risk factors and their prevention awareness of the Russian Federation population assessment]. Fundamental'nyye issledovaniya [Fundamental research], 10-9, 1833–1835. (In Russ.)
19. Chemlali, S., Mikou, S., Kissa, J. (2018). Evaluation of periodontal disease in dental students. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 45, 176–176.
20. Kumar, Y., Kumar, B., Thakur, R. (2020). Knowledge and Awareness towards Periodontal Diseases among Medical Students. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research, 7(2).
21. Mok, C. H. (2020). Methods to Improve Knowledge Retention in Medical Students. Medical Science Educator.
22. Shanghai Declaration on promoting health in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. [Electronic resource], http://www.who.int/healthpromotion/conferences/9gchp/Shanghai_declaration_final_draft_Ru.
23. Schamroth, A., Schamroth, J. (2018). Medical Students’ attitude to the teaching of Medical Humanities. MedEdPublish, 7(2).
24. Tavassoli, E., Reisi, M., Alidosti, M. et al. (2018). The Relationship of Perceptions, Self-efficacy, and Junk Food Consumption With Demographic Variables in Female Students in Shahrekord. International Journal of Epidemiologic Research. International Society for Phytocosmetic Sciences, 15, 5(3), 80–85.
25. Yaman, D., Kasnak, G., Aysesek, B. et al. (2018). Evaluation of the self-reported periodontal status of the dental students. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 45, 178–178.