Subject. An interdisciplinary approach in the science and practice of the dental industry has long become an established reality. The direct and indirect effect of a huge number of somatic diseases on the dental health of patients, the tactics of their treatment and subsequent follow-up observation was studied. One of these diseases is diabetes. On the other hand, the number of lawsuits against orthopedic dentists is growing every year and they are often associated with an insufficient, in the patient's opinion, period of comfortable use of the manufactured construction. When analyzing the causes of patients re-seeking dental orthopedic care, we revealed a significant discrepancy in their occurrence in patients with and without diabetes. In this article, we tried to describe the causes and consequences of such a phenomenon and propose ways to solve the discovered problem. The goal is to reduce the number of complications of dental orthopedic treatment in patients with diabetes mellitus. Methodology. We analyzed data from 304 patients who applied to dental clinics for the purpose of repeated prosthetics of teeth and dentitions. One of the research methods was a specially designed questionnaire, which included a number of questions for the reasons for replacing the prosthesis. Clinical and paraclinical methods for examining patients that meet the standards of care for established diagnoses were also used. Results. A clear dependence of the life of dentures on the presence of a history of diabetes was revealed. The main complaints of patients with repeated visits to the orthopedic dentist are formulated. The most common causes of early abandonment of the use of dentures were identified and the peculiarities of adaptation to them in patients with the pathology under consideration were determined. Findings. The obtained data can be applied in predicting the immediate and long-term results of prosthetics of teeth and dentitions, and on the basis of them, the period of clinical observation of patients with diabetes can be changed.
predicting the results of dental treatment, the timing of the use of dentures, the impact of diabetes on dental health, prosthetics of teeth and dentitions, somatic pathology
1. Zhirnova, A. I., Shcherbakov, A. S., Chervinets, Yu. V. (2015). Klinicheskiye osobennosti tkaney polosti rta u patsiyentov s sakharnym diabetom, prokhodyashchikh ortopedicheskoye stomatologicheskoye lecheniye protezami iz razlichnykh konstruktsionnykh materialov [Clinical features of oral tissues in patients with diabetes mellitus undergoing orthopedic dental treatment with prostheses made of various structural materials]. Sovremennyye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern problems of science and education], 4, 340. (In Russ.)
2. Zhirnova, A. I., Shcherbakov, A. S., Chervinets, Yu. V. (2015). Osobennosti mikrobiotsenoza polosti rta bol'nykh sakharnym diabetom posle protezirovaniya raznymi vidami koronok [Features of microbiocenosis of the oral cavity of patients with diabetes mellitus after prosthetics with different types of crowns]. Stomatologiya [Dentistry], 94, 1, 45–49. (In Russ.)
3. Dadabayeva, M. U., Normurodova, R. Z. (2017). Kliniko-funktsional'nyye izmeneniya slizistoy obolochki proteznogo lozha do i posle protezirovaniya u bol'nykh sakharnym diabetom 2 tipa [Clinical and functional changes of the prosthetic bed mucosa before and after prosthetics in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus]. Medicus [Medicus], 2 (14), 57–58. (In Russ.)
4. Ivanova, S. B., Bulanov, V. I., Vasiliev, A. M., Pavlova, N. A. (2020). Vzaimosvyaz' tyazhesti khronicheskogo generalizovannogo parodontita i lichnostnykh osobennostey patsiyentov s chastichnoy poterey zubov v protsesse kompleksnogo lecheniya [The Relationship between the severity of chronic generalized periodontitis and personal characteristics of patients with partial loss of teeth in the course of complex treatment]. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii, posvyashchennoy osnovatelyu kafedry ortopedicheskoy stomatologii KGMU professoru Isaaku Mikhaylovichu Oksmanu [Collection of scientific papers of the all-Russian scientific and practical conference dedicated to the founder of the Department of orthopedic dentistry of KSMU, Professor Isaac Mikhailovich Oxman], Kazan, 193–198. (In Russ.)
6. Koshelev, K. A., Belousov, N. N., Ivanova, S. B. (2018). Analiz otdalennykh rezul'tatov stomatologicheskogo lecheniya [Analysis of long-term results of dental treatment]. Vestnik meditsinskogo instituta «REAVIZ»: reabilitatsiya, vrach i zdorov'ye [Bulletin of the REAVIZ medical Institute (Rehabilitation, doctor and health)], 6 (36), 135–139. (In Russ.)
7. Koshelev, K. A., Belousov, N. N., Ivanova, S. B. (2018). Analiz prichin povtornykh obrashcheniy patsiyentov za stomatologicheskoy pomoshch'yu [Analysis of the reasons for repeated requests of patients for dental care]. Vestnik Smolenskoy gosudarstvennoy meditsinskoy akademii [Bulletin of the Smolensk state medical Academy], 17, 3, 125–130. (In Russ.)
8. Koshelev, K. A., Belousov, N. N., Sokolova, I. V., Murashova ,L. A. (2020). Vliyaniye lichnostnoy i situativnoy trevozhnosti patsiyentov na prognoz stomatologicheskogo ortopedicheskogo lecheniya [Influence of personal and situational anxiety of patients on the prognosis of dental orthopedic treatment]. Institut stomatologii [Institute of dentistry], 1 (86), 18–20. (In Russ.)
9. Koshelev, K. A., Evstifeeva, E. A., Belousov, N. N., Filippchenkova, S. I., Murashova, L. A. (2019). Otdalennyye rezul'taty stomatologicheskogo ortopedicheskogo lecheniya v aspekte izmeneniya kachestva zhizni [Long-Term results of dental orthopedic treatment in the aspect of changing the quality of life]. Problemy stomatologii [Actual problems in dentistry], 3 (15), 152–157. DOI: 10.18481/2077-7566-2019-15-3-152-157 (In Russ.)
10. Lang, T. A., Sesik, M. (2016). Kak opisyvat' statistiku v meditsine : rukovodstvo dlya avtorov, redaktorov i retsenzentov [How to describe statistics in medicine. Guidelines for authors, editors and reviewers]. Moscow : Practical Medicine, 480. (In Russ.)
11. Mamirgov, T. T., Pimenova, O. V. (2018). Stomatologicheskaya ortopedicheskaya reabilitatsiya bol'nykh s sakharnym diabetom [Dental orthopedic rehabilitation of patients with diabetes mellitus]. Byulleten' meditsinskikh internet-konferentsiy [Bulletin of medical Internet conferences], 8, 7, 297. (In Russ.)
12. Petri, A., Sabin, K., ed. Leonov, V. P. (2015). Naglyadnaya meditsinskaya statistika : uchebnoye posobiye [Visual medical statistics : textbook]. Moscow : GEOTAR-Media, 216. (In Russ.)
13. Runge, R. I. (2014). Sovershenstvovaniye organizatsii stomatologicheskoy pomoshchi bol'nym sakharnym diabetom v krupnom gorode v sovremennykh usloviyakh : dis. ... kand. med. nauk : 14.02.03 [Improving the organization of dental care for patients with diabetes in a large city in modern conditions: dis. ... cand. med. sciences :14.02.03]. St. Petersburg, 175. (In Russ.)
14. Shabalina, I. M., Rustamova, E. K., Lapina, N. V. (2015). Vliyaniye sanatsii polosti rta na etape podgotovki k protezirovaniyu na stomatologicheskiy status i kachestvo zhizni patsiyentov s vklyuchennymi defektami zubnykh ryadov na fone sakharnogo diabeta II tipa [Influence of oral sanitation at the stage of preparation for prosthetics on the dental status and quality of life of patients with included dental defects on the background of type II diabetes]. Teoreticheskiye i prikladnyye issledovaniya v oblasti yestestvennykh, gumanitarnykh i tekhnicheskikh nauk : sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Theoretical and applied research in the field of natural, humanitarian and technical Sciences : collection of scientific papers], 94–105. (In Russ.)
15. Shabalina, I. M., Lapina, N. V., Seferyan, K. G., Skorikova, L. A., Popkov, V. L. (2017). Vliyaniye podgotovki polosti rta na stomatologicheskoye zdorov'ye i kachestvo zhizni patsiyentov s otsutstviyem zubov na fone sakharnogo diabeta II tipa [Influence of oral cavity preparation on dental health and quality of life of patients with missing teeth on the background of type II diabetes]. Klinicheskaya stomatologiya [Clinical dentistry], 1, 61–65. (In Russ.)
16. Shevkunova, N. A. (2017). Rol' ortopedicheskoy stomatologicheskoy reabilitatsiiv uluchshenii psikhologicheskogo zdorov'ya patsiyentov s sakharnym diabetom 2 tipa [The Role of orthopedic dental rehabilitation in improving the psychological health of patients with type 2 diabetes]. Mezhdunarodnyy nauchno-issledovatel'skiy zhurnal [International research journal], 1-1 (55), 181–184. (In Russ.)
17. Akpata, E. S., Alomari, Q., Mojiminiyi, O. A., Al-Sanae, H. (2012). Caries experience among children with type 1 diabetes in Kuwait. Pediatric Dentistry, 34 (7), 468–472.
18. Andersson, D. K. G., Barnard, R. J. (1995). Bone densitometry and biochemical bone remodeling markers in type 2 of diabetes mellitus. Bone and Mineral, 26, 1–8.
19. Bakhshandeh, S., Murtomaa, H., Vehkalahti, M. M., Mofid, R., Suomalainen, K. (2008). Dental findings in diabetic adults. Caries Res, 42 (1), 14–18.
20. Carda, C., Mosquera-Lloreda, N., Salom, L. (2006). Structural and functional salivary disorders in type 2 diabetic patients. Med. Oral Patol. Oral Cir. Bucal, 11 (4), 309–314.
21. Garton, B. J., Ford, P. J. (2012). Root caries and diabetes: risk assessing to improve oral andsystemic health outcomes. Australian Dent. J, 57 (2), 114–122.
22. Iacopino, A. M. (2001). Periodontitis and diabetes interrelationships: Role of inflamation. Ann periodontal, 6, 125–137
23. Lopez-Lopez, J., Jane-Salas, E., Estrugo-Devesa, A., Velasco-Ortega, E., Martín-González, J., Segura-Egea, J. J. (2011). Periapical and endodontic status of type 2 diabetic patients in Catalonia, Spain: across-sectional study. Journal of Endodontics, 37 (5), 598–601.
24. Oates, T. W., Huynh-Ba, G., Vargas, A., Alexander, P., Feine, J. (2013). A critical review of diabetes, glycemic control, and dental implant therapy. Clin. Oral Implants Res, 24 (2), 117–127.
25. Wiener, R. C., Wu, B., Crout, R., Wiener, M., Plassman, B., Kao, E., McNeil, D. (2012). Hiposalivation and xerostomia in dentale older adults. JADA, 3, 279–284.